Thursday, October 28, 2010

Zoila Frausto defeats Megumi Fujii



In the women's 115-pound tournament finale, Zoila Frausto upset Megumi Fujii in a close split-decision, capturing the first-ever Bellator women's championship while handing the Japanese ace her first-ever defeat.

Fujii abandoned her usual grappling-heavy game plans and chose to strike with Frausto. On their feet, Fujii landed with more accuracy while Frausto landed the harder strikes, making for difficult rounds to score.

"It's the best feeling in the world," said Frausto (10-1). "A lot of people said I couldnt do it. I've been through so much, I deserve it. I worked so hard, and I've got the Lord to thank."

Fujii, who had 18 of her 22 career wins by submission, didn't put Frausto on the mat until there were 30 seconds left in the fight, but she never came close to a submission. Still, many likely walked away with the belief Fujii should have left victorious as she seemed to control the location of the fight and left Frausto with a badly swollen eye.

Fujii came into the tournament considered to be the top female pound-for-pound fighter in the world, but she'd never won a title. That run was expected to end at Bellator 34, but instead, she fell to 22-1 with the first loss of her career.

"I wanted to fight in her area," Fujii said. "I did a lot of striking but I did my best."


Source: MMAFighting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment